What Should You Do If Someone Loses Their Pet?



It has been a week since Herbie left us. The hardest part of this ordeal is every time I go to work every morning and when I go home after work. Every morning I always said goodbye to Herbie and touched his head when I left for work. That's one thing I miss. Right now, an empty space greets me every morning. The most painful is when I get home from work. There is no Herbie waiting and looking out for me when I arrive and greets me with his happy face and wagging tail.

CAN YOU SPOT THE PIECE OF PAPER AT THE LEFT SIDE OF THIS PICTURE? THAT'S THE LETTER MY MOM WROTE HOW THANKFUL SHE WAS TO HAVE HERBIE AS OUR PET.

Losing a pet is so painful and I thanked those friends who were there to listen to me talking about Herbie's memories.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU LOSES A PET?
If you are not a pet person...
1. A simple pat or rub in the back is a consoling gesture. Even if you can't relate how they feel at least you let them know you are there for them.

2. Lend them an ear. We love to talk about our pets. Even if after sharing our pet's life when they were still alive makes us sad after because we'd miss them I'd say talking is still a good therapy because it's like we are remembering them and spreading how good and obedient they were when they were still alive.

3. Never mock our pet's death. That is just disrespectful.

4. Be sensitive. Never laugh because we cried over a dog or a cat. We loved them like a family member so we have the right to bawl our eyes out over our pet.

5. Never compare. Okay so you experienced death of a loved one before but we really don't need your comparison. We are grieving the death of someone who is dearly close to our heart too.

6. Ask them how they are. A simple "How are you?" or "What caused his death?" the day after our pet died goes a long way.

If you are a pet person but haven't experienced the death of a pet before...
1. Never ignore a fellow pet lover's grief. (yes, there were some)

2. Put yourself in our shoes.


THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT HERBIE...


Last week the day after Herbie died, I was doing my laundry and I saw Herbie's things. I miss how he seeks for my attention whenever I do my laundry. He would scratch my back (sometimes a bit painful) for attention then I'd say to him "Herbie, ate (big sister) is still doing her laundry". I would bend down my head for him to kiss me then he would place his head between my upper torso and my arms. After all those sweetness, he would go back to his place and curl down watching me doing my laundry.

I also love how disciplined Herbie was whenever I feed him. Some dogs would just eat right away from their dog bowl even if we are not finished yet putting food on it. I gotta thanked CESAR MILLAN. I learned from him tips on how to discipline a dog. I guess every dog lover knows him. With Herbie, he would always wait until I finished putting food in his bowl.

I also miss how he goes "UP" and hold my hand in a standing position and goes "DOWN" if I told him to.

I miss how he goes to me running after he got free from our gate. Then he gives me dog kisses.

MY MOM AND I HAD BEEN KEEPING GUARD ON THIS GATE FOR 5 YEARS BECAUSE HERBIE WOULD JUST RUN FREE OUTSIDE WITHOUT A LEASH.

I will miss his playfulness. Sometimes when Herbie got free from our gate, he usually runs around near our block. I would call him to go home but he still wants to run around. Sometimes when I call his name, he would stopped running and just looked at me with those mischievous eyes and smiling and panting face then he would ran away again.

I also miss how he scratches our door whenever he hears my foot steps going down the stairs every morning.

I also miss how he sits in front of the gate facing our window waiting for either me or my mom to come out.



I also miss how he curls down near my legs whenever I spend time with him chilling and sitting outside our house but just inside the gate.

Most of all, I will always miss Herbie looking out inside the gate waiting for mama and I arriving from work. It is just heartbreaking.

SONG DEDICATED TO HERBIE...

HERBIE AFTER TAKING A BATH.

It's like a safety net was gone when I lost Herbie. Every time I go on videoke sessions with my friends, from now on I will not miss singing I'm Missing You by Meja. I actually sang it last Saturday and I will always dedicate it to Herbie. Here are some of the lyrics:

I miss your love, since you've been gone
I find it hard to go on
The summer sky don't mean a thing
I thought I'd always be strong
I got a feeling inside
and it's making my heart cry, cause

I'm missing you
and it's making me blue, yeah
I'm missing you
but what can I do
Thousand miles away, from you


I will always miss you Herbie. Till we meet again near the Rainbow Bridge.

-Jen




#ADOPTDONTSHOP








0 Thoughts: